Heatsheets Blankets-To-Boards Recycling Program
At Heatsheets, we are committed to the environment in spirit and in practice. In February 2011 we launched Blankets to BoardsTM, an innovative recycling partnership with Trex Company – the nation’s largest manufacturer of wood-alternative decking and railing products. This incredible, free program allows events of any size to recycle and re-purpose their Heatsheets heat-reflective finish line blankets for transformation into Trex’s wood-alternative outdoor living products. This means the Heatsheets are not only made in the U.S., but recycled here as well.
Getting Started Is Easy!
- Heatsheets and Trex will coordinate a drop off point for you at a local Trex-affiliated retailer or grocery store. The drop-off is scheduled at your convenience, either late in the afternoon on race day, or the following day. (Drop off typically less than 3 miles from finish line)
- Your Green Team will collect discarded Heatsheets blankets in clear plastic collection bags at baggage/gear recovery and/or other post-finish areas.
- At the scheduled time, your Green Team Volunteer/Lead will take the collected Heatsheets from the finish line collection area to the drop off location. Heatsheets will be consolidated with Trex’s regular shipments from the drop-off location.
Several events are active participants in the program including: Akron Marathon, Big Sur International Marathon, Chicago Marathon, Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Run, Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon, Glass City Marathon, Grandma’s Marathon, Hartford Marathon, Kansas City Marathon, Kiawah Island Marathon, Los Angeles Marathon, More Half Marathon, New York City Marathon, NYC Half Marathon, Pittsburgh Marathon, and the Vermont City Marathon.
Contact AFM for more information on how you can continue to improve your sustainability initiatives. The program is available in most areas.
- Heatsheets are made from FDA food-grade LDPE-4 resin.
- Heatsheets pass the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act that restricts the use of lead and phthalates.
- Recycling Heatsheets can earn you one point towards green certification through Council for Responsible Sport.
We are also a qualified Green Business Partner with Athletes for a Fit Planet based on our sustainable practices.For the full directory, click here.