At AFM, we are committed to the environment in both spirit and practice. In February 2011 we launched Blankets to Boards™, an innovative recycling partnership with Trex® Company – the nation’s largest manufacturer of wood-alternative decking and railing products. This incredible, free program allows events of any size to recycle and re-purpose their Heatsheets heat-reflective finish line blankets for transformation into Trex’s wood-alternative outdoor living products. This means the Heatsheets are made and recycled here in the U.S.
Getting started is easy!
- We will work with you to coordinate a drop off point at a local Trex-affiliated retailer or grocery
store. The drop-off is scheduled at your convenience, usually either late in the afternoon on race day, or the following day. (Drop off location is within 5 miles of you finish line).
- Your Green Team will collect discarded Heatsheets in clear plastic collection
bags at baggage/gear recovery and/or other post-finish areas. We will supply you with a limited quantity of collection bags at no charge if requested.
- At the scheduled time, simply take the collected Heatsheets from the finish
line collection areas to the drop off location. Heatsheets will be consolidated with Trex’s regular shipments from the drop-off location.
Several events are active participants in the program, including Akron Marathon, and the Credit Union Cherry Blossom. , Austin Marathon, Bank of America Chicago Marathon, Big Sur lnternational Marathon, Boston Marathon, Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon, Glass City Marathon, Half Moon Bay Marathon, Hartford Marathon, Kiawah Island Marathon, Los Angeles Marathon,MoreFitness Half Marathon, New York City Half Marathon, and the Vermont City Marathon.
Contact AFM for more information on how you can continue to improve your sustainability initiatives. The program is available in most areas (US only).
- Heatsheets are made from FDA food-grade LDPE-4 resin.
- Heatsheets pass the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act that restricts the use of lead and phthalates.
- Recycling Heatsheets can earn you one point towards green certification through Council for Responsible Sport.
We are also a qualified Green Business Partner with Athletes for a Fit Planet based on our sustainable practices. For the full directory go to: http://www.afitplanet.com/business/.
Race Director Resource
Be a hero by planning recycling efforts at your next event. View our General Guidelines for Recycling at Mass Participants Sporting Events.